Physics Program at UH Hilo
The mission of the UH Hilo physics program is to provide students with a rigorous, high-quality foundation in physics. The primary goal is to prepare students for graduate studies, for work as professional physicists, or for careers in secondary education, engineering and just about any technical or scientific fields. Our program supports the liberal arts mission of the University by providing general education courses for all students and service courses for the natural sciences and pre-health fields. The physics program has, and actively seeks, partnerships with other UH Hilo STEM programs. Although a quality undergraduate education is the focus of our degree, our faculty, together with our students, conduct original research and make substantial contributions to community education and service on the Big Island.
Program Learning Outcomes
The B.A. program in physics is designed to develop student mastery of concepts and problem-solving skills in:
- Classical mechanics
- Thermal and statistical physics
- Electricity, magnetism, and optics
- Modern physics, relativity, and quantum mechanics
- Electives such as electronics, astrophysics, and nonlinear science
Further Goals for Student LearningGraduates are also expected to:
- Effectively express scientific ideas in writing
- Use standard mathematical and computational tools to solve problems in physics and astrophysics
We will strive to provide every opportunity for our students to:
- Develop experimental skills appropriate for physics work
- Become proficient at finding and analyzing scientific literature
- Participate in original research projects
- Earn internship and employment opportunities as appropriate
Physics Degree Program
The initial two years of the program consist largely of general education courses that are part of a traditional liberal arts education, as well as basic physics and mathematics. The junior and senior years are largely devoted to advanced physics and math coursework, as well as a senior thesis project.
Flow chart of Physics classes
Learn more about Physics at UH Hilo
- Current classes (spring 2016)
- Physics UHH campus catalog description
- Physics courses offered at UH Hilo from the campus catalog
- Why UH Hilo
- UH Hilo Admissions Office (all things UH Hilo)
Interested in a career in Physics?
- The American Physical Society (APS) offers student guidance and internships at the APS Career Center.
- Careers from physics.org
Got questions? Prospective students can get more information about the Physics and Astronomy programs at UH Hilo by contacting the UH Hilo Department chair, Dr. Marianne Takamiya.